C/N 148

Prototype - G-AODF, G-ARTC

G-AODE, the first prototype Herald fitted with 4 Alvis Leonides piston engines was completed by July of 1954 at Handley Page's Reading factory on the edge of Woodley Airfield. It didn't make its first flight from Woodley however as Handley Page decided to strip it down and transport it to Radlett so it could make its first flight from the companies main airfield. Having already secured an order from Queensland Airlines, prior to first flight G-AODE was painted in their colours and completed a 30 minute maiden flight from Radlett on 25th August 1955 with company chief test pilot Hedley G Hazelden at the controls.

G-AODF_Herald_100_BEA_Farnborough_Sep59_
G-ARTC_Herald_201_Maritime_Central_Airwa